Our Lady of Good Counsel is a Christ-centered Parish enlightened by the Holy Sprit; guided by the Scriptures, Tradition, and the Sacraments of the Holy Roman Catholic Church; through the Stewardship of Time, Talent and Treasure, seeking to renew and maintain Love, Family Unity and Christian Values throughout the Community.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL PARISH
In 1958, Our Lady of Good Counsel was established as the 27th parish in the Diocese of Honolulu. The Church and rectory were blessed in 1959 and the school was opened in 1964 with 160 students. The Sisters of the third Order of st. Francis of Syracuse, New York were the first instructors. Monsignor Francis Marzen, the first pastor, was succeeded by Monsignor Bernard Eikmeier and followed by Monsignor Alan Nagai, Reverend Francis Peterson, Monsignor Alen Nagai (second term), Reverends Michael Owens and Daniel McNichol and Reverend Jack Niland, OFM Cap., Reverened Father Pascual Abaya IV and the current Pastor, Reverened Khanh Hoang. The parish is also blessed with the ordination of Deacon Thomas Miyashiro in 1981 and Deacon Efrain Andrews in 2001.
The stewardship concept of "Time, Talent and Treasure" was introduced in 1978. As a consequence, the parish became debt free in 1989 and many ministries surfaced as parishioners became more actively involved in parish life. The included Outreach, parish renewal, Baptism prepration, Marriages Convalidation, Stephen Ministry, Charismatic Prayer Group, Missionary Basic Christian Community, Seniors Club. Parish picnics and appreciation breakfasts, fellowship weekends, and parish workdays, afforded many to shear their time and talents.
More changes were seen in 1984 when, in keeping with the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, renovation of the church in to a cicular configuration occurred. Then in 1988 a diocesan mandate recommended the establishing of the Parish Pastoral Council and the forming of a Parish Mission Statement. From 1995-97 RENEW was on eof the sources of parish spirtual development. The legion of Mary, St. Vincent DePaul Society, Neo-Catechumenal Way, Parish Advisory Council and Family Ministry were formed in 1997-98. The Perpetual Adoration Chapel was blessed in October 1998 and continues as a source of prayerful sustenance to many in and around the parish. the Samoan and Micronesian communities are also actively participating in parish life.
The Welcoming Parish Study/Process, a diocesan mandate, began in 1999 with a parish survey to identify the needs and recommendations towards improving the parish. As a result of the study, the lighting and sound system, floor, and painting of the interior of the church were done and a pictorial parish directory and the registration/offertory envelope system were updated in 2002. The survey also strongly recommended bilding imporvements. Therefore, The Parish Center Building Committee was formed in the fall of 2002. Currently plans are undereway for the construction of a new sacristy, restrooms, storage areas, a multi-purpose structure, meeting rooms, and ad administration building.
Guided by the good counsel of Our Lady, the parish continues to be empowered by the Holy Spirit and grows as a family of loving and caring people of God. We are confident that God will provide for all of our needs at His "Table of Plenty."